Some historians speculate that Prince Pentawer was granted the option to kill himself. They asked him to consume a heavy dose of poison. However, other conspirators who were part of Ramses III's assassination died a humiliating death; they were burned alive on the streets of ancient Egypt.
Ancient Egypt is known for its vibrant culture and splendid monarchs. Multiple mummies have been discovered as of yet. Most of them were found from the royal cache of the Valley of the Kings. However, several Egyptologists and archaeologists claim that mummies were scattered in different regions of Egypt. Experts had to excavate various sites to find them. A plain cedar coffin was discovered by Gaston Maspero in June 1886. He was astonished when he stumbled upon it as Egyptian coffins generally have extensive engravings.
However, this one had no engravings or markings whatsoever. Experts discovered an unusual mummy and called it an ‘unknown man E’ as his tomb was utterly empty.
Here are ten interesting facts regarding the screaming mummy of Egypt:
1) Various egyptologists and archaeologists believe that the said mummy is of Prince Pentawer, son of Ramesses III.
2) Experts eventually concluded that the said person died an awful death. It seems as if he died while screaming out loud.
3) According to various archaeologists and experts, ordinary Egyptians could not afford coffins back in the olden days as they were quite expensive. The said mummy, however, was found in a wooden coffin. It is believed that he was not poor and was one of the royals.
4) According to various ancient texts and engravings, Prince Pentawer was one of the sons of Ramses III. He plotted with his mother and assassinated Ramses III so he could take his place as the king of Egypt.
5) Prince Pentawer’s wooden coffin was found in a royal burial reserve. Hacked-out areas in it show that the coffin was hastily modified for the son of Ramesses III.
6) Experts claim that Prince Pentawer was tortured before his death. According to modern-day reports, he suffered a cardiac arrest amid torture and died a brutal death.
7) Some historians speculate that Prince Pentawer was granted the option to kill himself. They asked him to consume a heavy dose of poison. However, other conspirators who were part of Ramses III’s assassination died a humiliating death; they were burned alive on the streets of ancient Egypt.
8) Cremation was considered a terrible end in ancient Egypt. They believed that the deceased would return. Hence, they preserved their bodies and placed them safely in the tombs. In other words, not only were the criminals killed in the physical world, but they also did not attain an afterlife. Prince Pentawer was given an option because of his royal blood.
9) One of the recent studies suggest that Prince Pentawer died due to strangulation. He was only 18 to 20 years old at the time of his death.
10) Prince Pentawer’s mummy is unique because it was hastily embalmed and placed in a cedar box.
Egyptian mummies are generally empty; they do not have viscera or brain. However, this mummy was intact when it was discovered.
Join the discussion and participate in awesome giveaways in our mobile Telegram group. Join Curiosmos on Telegram Today. t.me/Curiosmos