The Knights Templar was a massive organisation committed to Christianity during the medieval era. They came into being in 1118 and devoted their lives for the followers of Christianity. They protected the European travellers in sacred and holy lands. They also carried out various military operations and were often called the fellows of Jesus Christ. The said order consisted of various powerful and wealthy people. Their exemplary work has fascinated various historians from all over the globe. However, the Knights Templar was a secret organisation; no one knows much about the people who were part of it.
Following are ten intriguing facts about the Knights Templar:
1) A French knight called Hugues de Payens formed an order along with eight other acquaintances in 1118. They called themselves the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and the Temple of Solomon.
2) The Knights Templar initially received criticism from several religious leaders. However, the group was formally acknowledged by a Catholic Church in 1129. They also received acknowledgement from Bernard of Clairvaux, a prominent French abbot.
3) The members of the order were called the ‘poor fellows of Jesus Christ’. Hence, their insignia was of two knights riding on a single horse, indicating the order’s poverty.
4) The members of the order became the sole guardians of Christendom. They also received money, land, businesses, and sons of various noble families who were eager to help and protect the Holy Land.
5) The order kept growing with time, and multiple individuals joined them in their battles. One of their most famous victories was in 1177 during the Battle of Montgisard. Over 500 Templar knights helped uncountable soldiers to defeat Saladin’s army. Saladin’s army consisted of over 26,000 soldiers.
6) The order’s primary mission was related to military operations, but not all members of the order were fighters.
7) Quite a lot of members of the order served in support positions to assist the knights and to manage the overall financial foundation.
8) The Knights Templar created a different image in which the members of the order were monks, devoted to poverty, simplicity, and obedience. They also fought the unbelievers in the Holy Land.
9) The Knights Templar were forbidden to kiss any woman, including their biological mothers.
10) There was a specific set of rules and regulations for the Knights Templar. They were ordered to live modest lives. They were not allowed to consume meat every day. Moreover, fur and fancy clothes were forbidden for the members of the order.
Let’s summarise what we learned:
The Knights Templar served as the guardians of the believers and followers of Jesus Christ. Moreover, they lived simple lives and invested most of their time in helping the needy. I truly believe that it was necessary for an order to be present during that era as people were not helpful. The members of Knight Templar belonged from various countries. They had a specific set of rules, and none were allowed to break them. It was a secret organisation, and not all people were allowed to be part of it. Multiple historians are still trying to find the relics and remnants of the Knights Templar.
Join the discussion and participate in awesome giveaways in our mobile Telegram group. Join Curiosmos on Telegram Today. t.me/Curiosmos