Five years ago, on March 14, 2018, the world lost one of the most brilliant minds of our time, physicist and cosmologist Stephen Hawking. Despite being diagnosed with a rare form of motor neurone disease that left him paralyzed, Hawking became one of the most renowned scientists of the 21st century. His work on black holes, quantum mechanics, and the origins of the universe inspired generations of physicists and captured the imagination of millions around the world. On this fifth anniversary of his passing, we remember Hawking's groundbreaking contributions to science and humanity, as well as his unforgettable words of wisdom.
Stephen Hawking was not only one of the greatest minds of our time but also a shining example of perseverance, resilience, and determination. His legacy continues to inspire countless individuals around the world who aspire to achieve greatness in their own way.
Hawking’s groundbreaking work in the fields of theoretical physics and cosmology earned him numerous accolades, including the prestigious Albert Einstein Medal, the Wolf Prize in Physics, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He made major contributions to our understanding of black holes and the nature of the universe, challenging our traditional notions of time, space, and reality itself.
Despite living with a debilitating illness for most of his life, Hawking refused to let his physical limitations hold him back. His tenacity and resilience were evident in his daily life as well as his groundbreaking research. He continued to communicate his ideas and insights to the world through his computerized voice long after he was unable to speak or move.
Hawking was also a passionate advocate for science education and the importance of promoting scientific literacy. He believed that everyone had the potential to make important contributions to our understanding of the universe and encouraged young people to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.
Professor Stephen Hawking quotes
Perhaps equally as impressive as his scientific achievements were his philosophical insights and words of wisdom. Below are 10 of Stephen Hawking’s most legendary quotes that continue to inspire us all:
- “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
- “We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the universe. That makes us something very special.”
- “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.”
- “We are all different, but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it’s human nature that we adapt and survive.”
- “The universe doesn’t allow perfection.”
- “My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.”
- “The past, like the future, is indefinite and exists only as a spectrum of possibilities.”
- “I have noticed that even those who assert that everything is predestined and that we can change nothing about it still look both ways before they cross the street.”
- “We are in danger of destroying ourselves by our greed and stupidity. We cannot remain looking inwards at ourselves on a small and increasingly polluted and overcrowded planet.”
- “Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And, however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.”
PLEASE READ: Have something to add? Visit Curiosmos on Facebook. Join the discussion in our mobile Telegram group. Also, follow us on Google News. Interesting in history, mysteries, and more? Visit Ancient Library’s Telegram group and become part of an exclusive group.