Deep-Sear Surveys Reveal Thousands of Mystery Holes in the Seafloor

Thousands of mysterious holes have been found on the ocean floor not far from the Californian coast.

Thousands of mystery holes have been discovered on the seafloor after deep-sea surveys.

The Earth’s oceans are anything but explored. According to reports, humans have managed to explore about 5% of the ocean floor. The remaining 95% of the ocean remains a mystery. That’s why finding out that there are thousands of strange holes beneath the surface does not come as a great surprise.

A few miles off the coast of Big Sur, California, an underwater survey has found thousands of circular holes scattered in the seabed’s soft sediment. Scientists still don’t know what they are nor what may have caused them.

So, what are the mysterious holes that decorate the seafloor? Are they natural or artificial in nature?

As explained by experts from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI), experts discovered the presence of two distinct sizes.

The larger holes are known as pockmarks and average around average 175 meters (almost 600 feet) across and five meters (16 feet) deep. These holes appear to be nearly circular and are found to be fairly evenly spaced.

Some of these mysterious pockmarks were found by experts in 1999 during a seafloor survey using ship-mounted sonar.

This image shows a computer-generated 3D view of a micro-depression. Image Credit: Ben Erwin 2019 MBARI.
This image shows a computer-generated 3D view of a micro-depression. Image Credit: Ben Erwin 2019 MBARI.

Since then, additional surveys of the seabed have revealed the presence of more than 5,200 pockmarks spread out over 1,300 square kilometers (500 square miles), which makes this area the largest known pockmark field anywhere in North America.

A recent survey of the seabed with the help of sonar mounted on autonomous underwater vehicles revealed thousands of smaller pits, which experts have dubbed micro-depressions. These average around 11 meters (36 ft) across and are around one meter deep.

Although seafloor pockmarks have been discovered in other parts of the world, the ones discovered off California’s coast are unique.

The pockmarks found elsewhere are associated with the release of methane gas or other materials from the seafloor.

However, the survey of the area by MBARI experts has revealed no evidence of methane or other similar gasses in the seafloor.

Furthermore, the seafloor sediments’ sonar data indicates that the pockmarks near California have remained inactive for around 50,000 years.

The smaller micro-depressions, however, are thought to have formed in relatively young sediment. Furthermore, most of the micro-depressions that experts have studied are home to kelp holdfasts, bones, trash, or fishing gear. However, although the depressions were home to countless artifacts, the sediment around the holes was empty.

Deep-Sea Survey

The survey has also revealed that most of the micro-depressions feature “tails” of sediment that most likely originated within the depression. Strangely, many of these tails are oriented in the same directions adding fuel to the mystery.

Scientists theorize that the micro-depressions are young features that were excavated by seafloor currents not long ago.

“The pockmarks and micro-depressions in this area are both holes in the seafloor that occur in softer sediments, but they are morphologically distinct. The cause and persistence of the pockmarks remain a mystery, but we find no evidence they were created from gas or fluid in the seafloor in the recent past,” Eve Lundsten, a researcher with MBARI, revealed in a statement.

“The micro-depressions are recently formed erosional features; they are not ‘incipient pockmarks.’ Overall, a lot more work needs to be done to understand how all these features were formed, and this work is in progress,” Lundsten added.

The area is being considered the position for an offshore wind farm, the reason why experts surveyed the site recently. The exact origin of the mystery holes on the seafloor remains a mystery.


Join the discussion and participate in awesome giveaways in our mobile Telegram group. Join Curiosmos on Telegram Today. t.me/Curiosmos

Ivan Petricevic

Hi, my name is Ivan and I am the founder of Curiosmos, Ancient Code and Pyramidomania. I've been writing passionately about ancient civilizations, history, alien life and various other subjects for more than eight years. You may have seen me appear on Discovery Channel's What On Earth series, History Channel's Ancient Aliens, and Gaia's Ancient Civilizations among others.
Back to top button

Adblock detected :(

Hi, we understand that enjoy and Ad-free experience while surfing the internet, however, many sites, including ours, depend on ads to continue operating and producing the content you are reading now. Please consider turning off Ad-Block. We are committed to reducing the number of ads shown on the site.